Monday, April 12, 2010

Respecting Authority

An anonymous comment I received earlier today got me thinking about authority. It is a topic that has been common in my life recently - both authority I have been given and authority to which I must submit.

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God" (Romans 13:1).

I have been known to lean more towards the "goodie-two-shoes" side in my life. I will generally follow the rules. I have not had a hard time submitting to authority. However, I know others who have struggled in this area. The fact remains, God has instituted authoritative figures in our lives - pastors, presidents, bosses, police, Sunday school teachers, coaches. Whether we like a person or not, we are to submit.

Yes, there are exceptions. On numerous occasions, God leads His people to resist what authoritative figures have set in place. Moses, as a baby, was hidden when all male babies were to be killed. Even Jesus was hidden in a similar situation. Peter was ordered to stop preaching the Gospel, to which he replied, "We must obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29). We, as Christians, are to submit to authority except when the authority contradicts what God has commanded, even if we don't like it.

I have been given authority over some. It will not always be to the liking of those I lead. There are others to whom I must submit that keep me in check that my leading does not contradict what God commands. With power comes responsibility, and it is my responsibility to lead well and in accordance with God's commands and to follow those who are charged with leading me.

No comments: