Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Here's a Can of Worms

Predestination. I believe it. Reading 1 Peter the other night reminded me how encouraging it is.

"According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1:3-5


I had a conversation about it the other day. He said that it's encouraging to us because we (the two of us, since we both believe predestination) had nothing to do with our salvation. Well, we had something to do - without our sin, salvation would not be necessary; we wouldn't need to be saved from anything. It's enraging to Arminianists, I would assume, although I have not discussed this passage with one, because it says we had nothing to do with our salvation.

This argument of free will versus predestination made me think about the Israelites. They were God's chosen people. God chose them and did not choose a lot of other people in the world. I've never heard arguments about that. How would it be any different God choosing people today that are His people and choosing others not to be?

No comments: